How to Help a Friend
If someone close to you has an anxiety disorder, here are some ways you can help:
- Learn about the disorder. Understanding what your friend or roommate is going through will help you give support, as well as keep your worry under control.
- Realize and accept stressful periods. Modify your expectations of how your friend should act and be sure to be extra supportive during difficult times.
- Remember everyone experiences anxiety differently. Be tolerant, supportive and non-judgmental.
- Be encouraging and don't get discouraged. Give praise for even the smallest accomplishment. Stay positive.
- Talk to someone. Being supportive all the time is difficult,
so make sure you have someone-a roommate, friend, family member or counselor-to support you.